Thursday, October 27, 2011

Finding a Style in Photoshop: DIGITAL PAINTING OR PHOTOMANIPULATION?

A decision or a hybrid of both? It's been a difficult journey the past couple of weeks. I must say, some of the darkest days of my life, personally and on this journey to become a professional.

Finding inspiration is one of the most difficult challenges faced sometimes. Which is why sometimes I feel deviating to help craft others visions works well against doing personal work all the time. At the end of this post, I may or may not have figured out all of the things that inspire me to keep on going on with this or why. Such is life, I guess.

Lately, I've been trying to find my style and sense of capabilities in Photoshop by attempting to digitally paint one of my drawings. I've been exploring techniques to assist me in creating faster workflow, experimenting with features unique to the program, as well as utilizing this training I've already been taught either through school or own my own time with ImagineFX and online tutorials. I've also been trying to keep documented what I did and how long it took me to do so... so I can remember my process for the next attempt.

I have always been a faithful fan of Photoshop in the line up of the millions of others out there. I really admire the podcasts that artists have been putting out there displaying the process of creating a piece of art-- the video themselves are authentic in their creativity.

Sometimes I photo-Chop and blend together images I find online to create something. At those times I focus on color, tone, placement, and balance. However, I can never say I've handpainted from scratch. I've always wanted to be loose with brushes, colors, blending, but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find my style, afraid I'd mess up with my lighting and use of colors, and also that my final rendering might look flat.

I've always considered that a photoshop artist should be equipped to know both, so I stepped over my fear because it was something I had to overcome anyways to become a better and more versatile artist. So I've wrestling through working with limited reference to the subject I'm painting (at least in regards to the same lighting conditions I imagined out of a colorless pencil sketch). And mostly concentrating now on working with the way the "texture" looks on these subjects from different photographs. The lighting I'm having to feel out-- is naturally the most crucial part to avoid making the image look flat.

Yeah, so it's been a frustrating artistic journey, but I'm resilient and I'm relentless. And I will continue to build up the anticipation by not sharing the sketch I decided to pick.

I'm watching and reading as many tutorials as I can. My goal is to complement my traditional skills and style with my digital skills and ultimately to rediscover that style to become a better computer artist.

Until then:
Today I came across two great podcasts of two great digital artists at work:

One, by my shouted out favorite, BOBBY CHUI



The other, my newest discovery, VIET-MY BUI


One day perhaps I will create video demos like these, too. And hopefully they will inspire others as these inspire me.

No comments: