Monday, September 05, 2011

Back To The Drawing Board

Ever since I started winding down from my last commissioned project, and even more so after experiencing large scale dual drive failures, I've been burning the lead against the blank pages of my sketchbook once again trying to recreate new additions for my small gang of characters.

I've been thinking of small encounters between one character and another, crafting snippets in my head of how these characters interact, and considering who they are as individuals-- what their own personal tales reveal about them for the current point in time.

To get moving from the emptiness of the page, I decided on expansion of what I had. So I'm choosing to make friends, colleagues and companions, enemies, family, whatever social integration I can think of that makes the world go around. In this case, opens opportunity to further develop narrative within the characters that I already have drawn up.

Why? I don't now yet.
But it's keeping me busy and keeping me quiet, which is what I'm best at and what people seem to like most from me.

And, like I've always, it's taking me back into my passion of storytelling. Although the development end of my stories aren't always as easy when it comes to the thought of bringing anything outside of my imagination itself... when I get that crazy idea that one of these stories might have an option to become visual versus reflected upon or written. The question of "How much work would this entail?" starts lingering and the scale of the idea suddenly paralyzes the story.

Keep it simple!
Do I want a comic or kid's book?

Well, I never honestly imagined my posse being fit for kids, but people around me have offered that I'd make a fine children's book illustrator. My character's personalities and habits? Nope. I'd be getting head shakes from lots of parents. I'm sure of it. It is a tough challenge to consider what's fit for children and entertaining enough for adults. Pixar's director, Enrico Casarosa, said it best during his "La Luna" presentation at sigGRAPH -- better than I'll probably word it, at least-- The best substance to a good story is to find something personal that hits home in people's hearts where you can relate people closely to the emotions and story's primary feeling. It could range from anywhere sentimental to humorous. It is just the ability to find those common bonds for one's personal visions.
Naturally, Pixar leads the industry with their flawless plots, and "La Luna" was another brilliant piece.

Anyways,If I was to work on something one or the other: I choose the comic.

If I took the characters beyond the drawing board?
Me and myself-- It would have to be VERY simple and VERY short.

So, I've been stacking up a pile of different ideas. The bliss of having free time on my hands from my work and personal life, Because my artwork always sits uncomfortably in the middle of both.

So most newest additions are Frazz. His fans call him Jazzy Frazz. He is the lead guitarist of "Damnation Virus and the Mofos" and bandmate to Lead Singer MacBurley, who can be seen under the characters section of my website. Eventually, I will create the remaining members of the band.



Next, is Lolita Fatz. I imagined her as a frequenter of "Sweets and Treats" (with is Clementine's shop) and "GeeBee's Fun Time Ice Cream", both of which are competitors and stubbornly own space adjacent of each other. Lolita, is what one would consider a fire-starter, who erupts trouble between the businesses purely on her own personal motive of nurturing her love for deserts.



And my latest drawing, a doggie portrait of a small spunky mutt named Nibbler, should be completed by tonight and posted by tomorrow.

I am, indeed, back to that drawing board and it feels good! So along with my checklist of pending computer artwork, I now have made drawing at least once a day every day a firm priority.

No comments: