Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Euphoria Of Seeing A Finish Line...

Tonight I'll be adding in my collection of work to my website. This are stand alone pages that will represent skills outside of my 3D reel from artwork I've built over the last decade. These galleries will display are wide varitey of areas I've dabbled in with some being more specialized than others. Overall, though, I really felt a need to share an general proof of some sense of an ability for each.

My main gripe with this, now... (There's ALWAYS some kind of gripe with me)... is that I won't be able to stuff-up all of the thumbnails. And as I work out the style of the actual galleries during this work session in Photoshop-- I still don't even know how many thumbnails there with be yet. Thinking through, I've been contemplating whether of not to put in "Coming Soon" placeholders icons, sort of like the link icons... and just fill them as I accumlate a denser portfolio, which is next on my list inbetween the free moments I have with my current freelance gig.

I will say that the feeling that surfaces lately from this all: RELIEF. As if crossing the finish line, I do all of the things a finalist would do, with hands on my knees suck in all the breaths I can thankful that I can still breathe, throw back my chin to the sky with a jug of water to my lips remembering the taste of water that I just want to forget while along the way, the wedgie factor finally freed without worry of reoccurence, the anticipation of a shower and a massage........

OK, so I'm overexaggerating. :)
But you get the idea of how I starting to feel.

Now back to the finish line I haven't QUITE crossed yet. Well, hello, focus!
I'm not sure if I should sprint, but I know that the last couple two days I was running at a slow pace in luxury of thinking I'm actually winning-- Watching movies, exercising, reading, socializing with coworkers at my airline job over dinner and drinks... And it feels like bliss.

As I would imagine a marathon runner would feel as they look ahead and saw the end of the 26.something miles they just invested. The story of the mararthon, however, in hopefully not in my own fate. My friend, Geroge, I credit this knowledge to, but quote it from the wonderful works of Wikipedia:

"The traditional story relates that Pheidippides (530 BC–490 BC), an Athenian herald, was sent to Sparta to request help when the Persians landed at Marathon, Greece. He ran 240 km (150 miles) in two days. He then ran the 40 km (25 miles) from the battlefield near Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia in the Battle of Marathon (490 BC) with the word "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, "We have won") and collapsed and died on the spot from exhaustion."

I reinstate my euphoria, yes, although after I do finally finish this site after my long haul of alliance to it, I am hopeful to avoid the "collapse and died" extreme. I feel quite exhausted, but still can't wait to go out and have some downtime and then advance onward to other personal projects!

No comments: