Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I DETOURED...





Well, I cleaned off my drafting table, and got my studio organized. I was just itching to work on some artwork. This is Billy Buck, a character whose orignal concept I created about a year ago.... I figured he was the easiest to start off with (and of couse quickest to get finished).

So, yeah, I detoured a bit. But I figured while I was figuring out some kinks in my website and doing my research reading books, I might as well squeeze in some time to build up my portfolio.




I've been digging into Flash books. I ran into a problem with fixed width vs. fluid width. Seems the site I'm using as a layout guide is primarily fluid,and I've been having a problem with my side image floating all over the place when I switch from my desktop browser to my labtop browser. (Atleast I'm understanding the problem... sigh...) Now I have to figure out the best approach. I will probably just adjust everything and go with a fixed layout, but I wanted to do some tests first so I can see exactly how I'll have to adjust the layout with my initial style.

Well, enough about the site. It consumes enough of my thousts. I'd just like to write that it feels good to peel into my roots again. I feel a sense of confidence. Billy still needs a lot of work, but I was a lot more scared before than I am now. I will probably do some more concept designs before bringing him into the 3d application. I'm not happy with his side view (or any of my character's side views for that matter). My characters always look like damn monkeys! I know anatomically that there's definitely an error over there... Gesture wise, I feel he looks pretty comfy in that seat... I don't feel any stiffness in his poses (besides the original concept)... So, that's good.

My next step will just be to get more comfortable drawing the character in all different positions in all different scenarios. I just want to concentrate on representing his personality. And I'd like to do a series of facial expressions. I'm hoping to do this within the next few days, while I run the tests on the site and finish up the site's side image.

As far as my other design, I haven't given up it. I scanned it in, blew it up, printed it out. I plan to adjust the perspective and add in the detail. I'll hash out a good angle in the 3d program with mock objects and print it out. And use that as a reference (By the way, I SUCK at perspective). I credit my teacher and mentor, Jeff Lerer, for that tip! That project will be a looong project... specifically because I want to take a lot of time of detailing. But for some reason I can't get myself to work on it without getting the Wacom tablet first. It gives me motivation to get the stupid tablet! Next month. Next check. I swear it. For now, just Billy and my site. (I know I'm all over the place...)

As far as my life, it's the same old. When I make artwork and I feel the session was successful, it makes me feel really, really good. I guess that's all I can ask for of myself right now. lol.

It may be a long journey, but I got the shoes with good soles. :)
Thank god for inspiration...

No comments: