Saturday, October 05, 2013

"Tribute to the Museum of Tibetan Art In Staten Island"





Been wanting to keep fresh with my life drawing!   Attempting a portrait is always a good exercise.  I worked on a picture I took with my camera.  And then I carry my pocketsized sketchbook and camera around and draw when feeling inspired or just killing time in between a busy schedule.  What I really need to do is get a tablet... But nothing conquers the relaxation of picking up a pencil or pen for me--  there's a born instinct that's comes from drawing with these...

But the camera's pretty great to work from, too, because you can zoom in if you need to to focus in on details!

I went to this place about a month ago.  It was founded by a female art collector.  Her name was Jacques Marchais.  She was also an expert on Tibetan culture.  I think she may have also had a museum in New York City as well, but I'm not sure if it was open presently.  I believe the museum in Staten Island was reminiscent of most of her entire collection from Manhattan that she accumlated over the years...  Pretty impressive collection for one woman!

It was a cute little place, peaceful and serene, at what is said to be the highest point in Staten Island -- on Lighthouse Ave. 
I go back and forth behind keeping my 'portraits' more line drawing than over complicated with shading.  I guess it's the illustrator nature in me.... I like to keep it kind of crisp.
When I look at it now, up against its natural shot, I still see so many obvious problems that I couldn't see before when going back and forth from the camera to my sketchbook.
But I'm getting better overall at the challenge, I think.  I'm always up for a challenge. 
  
I like to do life drawing when I can't find inspiration to create my own or when I need a break from trying to figure out where to go with my own piece....

No comments: