Tuesday, October 08, 2013

GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND

.......In everything that I do, whether it be one of another million web designs out here in this infinite cyber abyss or whether it's from the stirrings of my creative cauldron seasoned with all these unrelenting aspects of my imagining soul.  There's passion and dedication even in just day to day life with me. 

I believe I did go above and beyond.....

A local website, my most current home-based gig, presents the cleanest possible approach I could muster up.  Mostly I wanted to achieve a look that was easy on the eyes-- which to any uneasy designer can be both a blessing and a curse.



So, I will add why I like to do web designs every now and again:

-It brings on a need for quick and fast design choices.
-It forces objective thinking in order to remain easy to navigate as well as stay somewhat unique.
-Sometimes the copying and pasting is so redundant it's almost therapeutic


My honest journey with web design?   It was to design my own website for my artwork.  AND, honestly, it was also because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find any work doing 3D.  I decided to shoot for a back up trade that I could manage while I was on the road traveling.  I took a basic continuing education class, which I would now swear by.  It coated the surface of the fundamentals useful for cross-platform designing...... and from there I ventured on my own journey.

The one thing my teacher stressed was the power of CSS.  And she will be forever right.  There are virtually no limitations to browsers or browser versions with it.  I love using CSS.


I try to limit the amount of flash that I use, when it comes to web design... as, unfortunately, it's not compatible with Macs and "I-stuff" unless you dive even deeper into the world of coding-- which, I try to avoid.  The artist in me starts screaming when I get to lost in all the variations of language and learning out there.  You can really get lost in translation.

CSS is my language of choice.  Like HTML, it's the bare bones of coding.  I do use other codes, but only with caution and as needed, and coding that only requires that most minimal amount of researching, adjusting, and troubleshooting required.  On my journey to learn web design, I've spend hundreds of hours researching and view sources, etc.  It's a pain, but it's critical.


I do love flash, however, and it's potential.  It truly bears some beautiful web designs, but much of that is also to the handling of the designer, too, of course.  I wouldn't mind trying a flash website out one day in the future and really going over the top with 3D animated splashes.

One flash book that I thought was pretty great and to the point?
by Colin Smith

One web design site I use to  give me inspiration? 
I never used the site to purchase a template-- just see what was out there and then challenge myself to see how close I could come to replicating some of the layouts. I recommend this site very much actually.  I found great inspiration in there.

So, now that this website is all said and done.....  I'm back to teach myself the latest version of Maya and Zbrush.  And I'm going to build a new reel and new website (or just a basic upload this time) strictly for my modeling. This was based off of the counsel of a 3D industry warrior, and it sounds like a good challenge to get up to date with the latest versions of everything.

I'm also piling up a tons of ideas for future posts, so please come back real soon!

No comments: