Friday, March 02, 2012

Computers: Keep On Updating Yourself!

It's not the computer that you need to find tune and fresh install, it's YOU. Speaking for myself, if I can't keep updated on my computer software interests of choice -- I don't deserve to work as a professional computer artist.

It is true even with traditional mediums. If I hit a road block, I make sure I pratice my hand-eye coordination by copydrawing or attempting a portrait until my own inspirations strike.

And they have....
It all started with a contest the Deviant Art was hosting. They were looking for a worldwide attempt at creating the cutest original monster. While brainstorming I thought of three great "stories". I've been trying to think like Bobbby Chui ever since seeing his seminar even if my work is far lacking in luster than his.

The contest: I knew I wouldn't have enough time and I didn't want to be swayed by the money by producing quick crap. I also predicted that I wouldn't have enough people to vote for me. So, I archived these ideas-- and they've been festering in me.

I sketched the first one out the other day. (I won't post it yet because it's incomplete at the moment). The tone conveyed from my mind-to-page so far has transformed from a light and childish vision to semi-dark and semi-depressing bit of chicken-scratch. I'm just thankful I'm loosening up with my sketches. I'm getting better at my gesture drawings, too. :) I will try to produce a few different versions. Although, I prefer the feeling that surfaced in the original. Ironic.

But back to case in hand. I was freshly inspired. And my hand drawings have prospered as such.

Computer roadblocks, though? Well, I finally myself re-learning Maya today and it's frustrating to say the least. The most difficult was the set-up (Although I remember that importing image planes was never truly fun). And now that I am started and hashing out the basics of one of my characters with some box modeling-- it's coming alllll coming back to me.

Still, I safeguard myself by taking notes. Hot-Keys essentially are the saving graces of each indivdiual program. YOU CAN'T GET MAD AT YOURSELF or THE MOUSE or THE COMPUTER, if you know your hot keys and know them well.

The truth is-- I can't choose one program, I won't let go of one program to another. I'm fair. I'm open. I'm a universal computer software girl and I have a true love for art and working with a variety of tools.

Am I a tool? Only if the program or computer controls me.
And that, my friends, is exactly the reason enough to keep updated.

No comments: