Monday, March 05, 2012

Back On the Webfront.

Not my favorite type of gig, but a gig none-the-less. And a task that seems to filter itself in my general direction on quite a few occasions now. So, I made an arrangement with myself to make my life on the web-front easier.

I created a questionnaire. One that avoids being too time intensive to fill out and is precise in obtaining the information needed to recreate the clients vision. Most importantly, it curbs me from working blindly. I will soon attach it to my web design section and add in a few links and images where you will be able to see some of the sites I've worked on and/or completed.

Here is the homepage of the site I am currently working on:




(This is being created while I build up one of my characters in Maya and get him ready for sculpting for Chapter 6 of Eric Keller's "Introducing Zbrush")

My feeling on this type of art called 'web design'. Complete Love-Hate.
I love the layout part in Photoshop. And the coding end of it is comfortingly repetitive sometimes. But other than that...

To me, web design has always been the type of work that seldom feels like an artistic journey, and always settles as technical and organizational. The layout in photoshop is the best part, but unfortunately, the quickest part.

And the quips of what works with what nowadays, and what format and resolution size, and what plugins are downloaded on personal computers, what browsers. What fonts are installed and what colors correlated with the World Wide Web. Fixed or Fluid Layouts. It's all just so nit-picky. Bitchy, really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the work. And even more happy to lend a hand to a few friends in need of launching businesses and such. But when it all boils down to it, my honest opinion of web design:

To me, it's more web development. Or Lisa-as-a-web-designer-development...

Web design is one of the least advanced visual artforms out there because it's too conservative to be freeing-- which is what makes art "art" to some of us artists out there sometimes. Now I'm sure many would argue, but on the level of rules: One must jump through many, many different sized hoops to get their site working on ALL sized-and-shaped browsers. And even still, features such as that PNG format hadn't figured out transparency until what year again? Has it yet? I don't know. But transparency (such a popular tool in many other computer art related programs) shouldn't even be an issue. To work around the transparency issues is brilliance? No. It just feels like it's a few steps behind being artsy to me.

Now with Mac and PC mobile devices? Reformating. Finding that prefect script and readjusting it to work for your website-on-the-road = Total Techy Time In. Hours of research maybe. I'll do it. *Grunt*. If only to learn it and learn that I probably never want to do it again.

I like to attempt to hone in my inner geek, yes. And I can do it well sometimes, but web design once the design part is over with... I'm completely washed up to shore. And cranky even.

Now this is non-specific to any of my clients and/or friends, but a general cry of anguish. Content?! Please fill in ALL the blank areas, because I don't know what to do with them. hehe. Really. I'll draw smiley faces all over the place. What is there to convey in words? It is difficult, but I'm just the artist here.

This is where my lovely questionnaire surfaces and thankfully has been a saving grace this time around. But in the past making up content is no fun.

The current wesbite near to complete is a site for a friend of mine, who I'm sure knows how much I loathe web design. And if not, he knows now. It's called Walk Safely Chasing Dreams. He's reaching out to all people trying to pursue what they love most and to not give up on achieveing it. Go for it. But do so carefully. And if your anything like me -- do so with lots of graceful complaining.




If you want to check out the site, give you're input, or spread some motivation around, or even buy a t-shirt, send my friend an email. The custom contact form works although the Products Page is still underway.




I'm no marketer, but motivation of dreams and inspiration is always a powerful feeling to spread around. I don't know what inspires me sometimes, but I keep on plugging away at my artwork for some reason-- even this blog. Inspiration stays with me somehow and when it fades something always brings that inspiration back... and its in my nature to inspire others and keep inspiring... even if I complain.

So do me the favor, check it out and enjoy:

DAVID JOHNSON'S
WALK SAFELY CHASING DREAMS


Please be mindful most sublinks aren't working yet. But I will post again once when the site is fully up and running and all inforamtion and social links are provided.

Thanks (as always) for stomaching through my (web design) rants.

No comments: